Sunday, May 6, 2018

More opportunities if you are a contrarian


2018 is a relatively difficult year for finding multi-baggers partly due to the following threats:

1. S&P 500 still trades at a trailing price-earnings multiple of 24, significantly above the 10-year average of 15.7.
2. The possibility of a US-China trade war
3. Tariffs on imports will raise costs to US consumers, reducing consumption and raising inflation
4. US 10-year treasury yield has been close to 3 per cent --- a level which a lot of analysts think would signal a significant reversal in equities.
5. The World cup in June 2018 will likely bring down the market by an average of 8.6% if history is something to go by.
6. The likelihood of regulations on social media and technology companies because of mounting privacy issues
7. A rise in geopolitical risks
8. Ongoing tensions in Syria

However, unless you do not have the knowledge to separate the wheat from the chaff, volatility itself can be good to those who know how to respond to it.

I still think there is still quite some time, at least a year or so, for the market to move up but the trajectory will be much more arduous this time compared to 2017. What we can do is we can wait for some quality stocks to be artificially corrected by the market and we can buy them on dips.  

I bought Valuetronics on 30th April 18 at 74.5 cents apiece when its share price slumped by more than 25 per cent since its Dutch MNC customer reported a 1Q18 earnings miss due to weak sales at its home lighting division. Weak earnings announced by its peers as well as soft sentiment in the electronics and semiconductor sector also contributed to the share price decline. I am confident that I will make a good return being a contrarian.

Valuetronics daily chart

11 comments:

  1. Haha I like your contrarian thinking... how about Venture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Venture's fair value should be below $16. Although it has dropped substantially, I am not interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha i see... thanks... how do you evaluate Venture's fair value? Using peers' PE?

    In that case, I am curious to know your FV estimate on Valuetronics also haha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually, I take p/e at 12x as the fair value for a tech company. I also use my special technical analysis for deriving the entry and exit points under certain special situations for a high probability of winning.
    For Valuetronics, the next resistance, according to my unique method, will be 88.5 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see... seems you you are not only FA buy-and-hold investor, but also a skilled TA trader for special situations

    so huat to you la...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, like what I believe, it doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches BIG mice.

      Delete
  6. Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful information specially the closing part :) I maintain such information much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a extended time. Many thanks and best of luck. my sites:Allianz Japan Fonds

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Article..Archerswealth Provides Investment Advisor, Opportunities and Wealth Management Services - leading solutions to help wealth management prepare for the future of Investing.
    Investment Advisor, Opportunities
    Wealth Management Services

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. houses for sale in SingaporeReal estate listings in Singapore - Looking to buy property in Singapore? Search the latest listings for real estate & property for sale in Singapore. Find your perfect property with Affinity-oxleyholdings.com.


    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing these wonderfull words,
    Get the best Mutual Funds in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete